Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Northern Lights - finally!

 
Finally, I caught a glimpse of the Northern Lights here in Fort Mac. It wasn't quite what I expected, but I'll take it, since it's the only one I've seen all winter. Apparently you can see some amazing light shows from here (there are even tours) but I haven't seen anything too spectacular from my back door yet - aside from this green rainbow.


Here's a few tid bits to make you smarter about northern lights:
~They are caused by collisions between electrically charged particles from the sun that enter the earth's atmosphere.
~They can be seen above the magnetic poles of the northern and southern hemispheres. They are known as 'Aurora borealis' in the north and 'Aurora australis' in the south.
~Auroral displays appear in many colours although pale green and pink are the most common.
If you want to know more, check out this page.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, Northern Lights. I'm surprised you didn't see them in September? There usually good then. But as the days grow warmer and the nights cooler, they'll probably be good soon. Fingers crossed you see some good lights.

    ReplyDelete