Friday, May 14, 2010

Here a Newfie, There a Newfie

I read somewhere that 20% of the population here is from Newfoundland; but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s even higher because everywhere you go you hear that distinct Newfie accent. I happen to like the sound of it, but sometimes I have no clue what they’re saying. I purposely avoid one of the other volunteers because I honestly can’t make out a word he says.

Here are a few phrases I’ve picked up so far:

Lard tunderin jesus! (translation: Well, I’ll be damned!)
Whar ya too by? (translation: where are you going?)
‘Ow ya getting’ on by? (translation: how are you doing?)

So far I haven’t met a Newfie I didn’t like; not that I really know that many, but they seem like a pretty friendly bunch. Now, if I can just learn their language, maybe I can befriend some and they’ll have me over for a lobster boil!

No comments:

Post a Comment